Remote Control Shoving Platforms
The source is: Caboose (Mike Schafer) - I found mine on Amazon, their are other sites that sell them also. See page 92/93 for a picture.

Here is the text of the caption on page 92:
In an unusual twist the Wisconson Central RR used cabooses to reduce the number of crew members needed to operate certain trains. Railroad shop forces converted eight formeer Algoma central cabooses into remote-control vehicles. Equipped with locomotive air-braking equipment and a radio receiver, the cars - coupled to a locomotive and linked via special plug-in cables - can be used to remotely operate the locomotive. Thus an engineer can also serve as his train's brakeman, throwing switches from and uncoupling cars while controlling his locomotive from trackside. Modified, the cabooses feature their own horns and headlights; the coloured lights on the sides of the cupola provide an indiciationto the trackside operator whether the locomotive is in braking or acceleration mode.
Photo by C. E. Newton

It would appear that rather than modify their loco fleet for remote control, the cabooses [cabeese] were modified instead. And I have to admit to an admiration for these units. They look darned smart with all of the locomotive kit hanging off the front of them.

As for something that could be used at the front of a reversing train, almost any platform could be used. Some have mentioned modified flat cars, I have seen old MP yard cabooses in this roll with a crew member on the front of the train, radio in hand, directing the movement across the grade crossings, and through switches also. All by radio to the engineer at the back of the train.

And I have something in O gauge that could be kitbashed into just that very style... Big Grin
All the best and hope that this post has helped someone.
Regards
Andrew Martin
Visit the blog and the small layout design site: https://huntervalleylines.wordpress.com
For modelling articles and gallery (click Website button below)

Messages In This Thread