Hedley Junction
Matt: a couple of notes from the early July discussion.
Most of the stations I remember (CPR, eastern Ontario) had wooden platforms. These were just a bit above rail level. The conductor had a step (6"?) that filled the gap between the platform and the bottom step of the coach. The platform height was also set so that baggage carts came up to floor height on the baggage/postal cars. I don't remember any milk traffic -- maybe I wasn't up early enough. Wink

At Perth, the station was at the east end of the platform. There was a double track main line and a second platform on the other side with a basic shelter. Just beyond the end of the platform was a water tower with a spout. (Enclosed with a STONE lower half.) Opposite the tower was a section shed (speeders + office). At the west end of the west platform was a standpipe. Trains needing water were stopped in the right position -- I think there was a few feet of leeway.

Milk cans: would they have to come back in the milk car? If the dairy washed them, they might be transportable in any box car.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.

Messages In This Thread