Hedley Junction
I quickly sketched up something on the other side of the river (the layout is presented upside down to make it easier to visualize). Everything I wanted can find a place without trouble... at least, on plan!!! I won't have to alter to much the real track plan of St. Paul Street Station, which is a good thing. It is accessible from both side, which makes more sense to me.

[Image: Hedleyville_17.jpg]

Most feature found on St. André Wharf are kept: Canadian Arsenal Plant (desserved by a dummy CPR interchange), Novia Scotia coal loading facility, CNR multitrack freight shed, the feed mill, Canada Cement Plant and maybe some other buildings on the left to hide the balloon track (the Quebec Liquor Commission had a multi-storey warehouse wedge-shaped at the same place (the real track was actually curving like the balloon track would)).

Most trackage around the feedmill and cement plant is complete bull. Building proportions and wharf are right. I think I should keep the returning loop for the sake of convinience. Also, it can easily be disguised as industrial trackage. It could be useful to switch the feed mill and Canada Cement. I'll study the prototypes better to understand how they worked. At least, I feel like I should switch both industries from the left. I'll will minimize operation in the larger part of St. Paul Street Station Peninsula. Anyway, I'll have to see if CNR Freight shed is accessible enough...

I'm a little bit at lost for the feed mill and Canada Cement Plant because they were served behind the buildings. The "street running" track wasn't used for switching purpose back then... I'll have to fiddle a little bit there. There was a conveyor behind the cement bins and I thought about useing the background track for bulk cement loading (using slab hoppers). Since it's bulk, it doesn't need to spot each car. The bagging plant, at left, could be rail served with boxcars.

Maybe having St. André street running parallell to the layout would simplify a lot of trackage...

Some pic from the 1950s with the street running track on Saint André Wharf. This photographer has a lot of old pictures of the area, but he's quite hard to contact... He habitually used old pictures to create vintage postcards. He edited a few railway related postcards, but nothing very useful to me. The feedmill is behind and at left, in the background, you can see a cement bin and a conveyor. Note the eyes on the locomotive window!!!! The crew had a good sense of humour, the paint scheme just looks like a smiling face. This photographer has a lot of old pictures of the area, but he's quite hard to contact...

[Image: CI-DIA-360-2008-091948-01-72x1000.jpg]

I'll go sleep and think over it tomorrow.

***EDIT*** The good thing is that St. Paul Street Station can be modelled after and separately, which is a good point to me. It could be built at home and added later. Also, the main layout can be operated without the station.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread