A Challenge: Designing A new modular layout section
Hi all,
suffering from a little bit of designers block.... So I decided I turn to my fellow modelers at Big Blue to see if they can nudge me in the right direction. Imagine the following: Two modules, rectangular in shape, each 18" by 48" . The only 'rule' is a centrally located single track running the full length, with it's centre at 9" from the front fascia.
These modules are intended to provide a little switching fun as 'stand alone' , modern' ish' era (roughly mid 70's till mid 90's), Southern Pacific territory. The trackplan to be relatively prototypical (not a MUST, but to avoid switching puzzles etc, which only lead to frustration etc). cars on average to be 50' box cars size, and 4 axle diesels like SW1500 and GP35 or similar.
At the same time, these modules should be able to be integrated into a larger modular layout, at any given location, hence the central single track, to be able to provide trackage for through trains.

I have already drawn several 'noodles' on paper, looked at other small switching layouts, checked my books by Lance Mindheim , etc etc and I am still stuck. Does anyone have any creative juices flowing at the moment that can provide me a (start) track plan, which I might shamelessly copy, or use as a basic inspiration to create my own track plan?

Yes I've also looked at the trackplans Steinjr had published in MRH magazine, and they are great, but it turned out the one I liked most (figure 9 , if you know which one I mean) was really for N scale in the given space.

So , who's feeling creative? I will think of a way to thank the person(s) who provide me with the right 'push' in a creative way. Perhaps a street , industry or similar named after you on the modules? ;-)

Thanks, Koos
Cheers
Be sure to visit my model railroad blog at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.namrr.blogspot.com">http://www.namrr.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread