An engine servicing facility for the JGL
This area is really starting to look good Gary, and I like the fact that you're including a steam plant for the roundhouse, too. In addition to providing heat for the structure, many roads used a process called direct steaming, where the stationary boilers were used to quickly bring locomotive boilers to operational readiness. I plan to duplicate this on my layout, too - the steam plant is in place, with only the overhead steam lines to be constructed.
It's not often that one sees the corporate headquarters of the road included on a layout (mine are on the upper floors of the main station at Dunnville). Walthers had a kit for a Ford Headquarters Building like this which might be suitable. Or you could use sheet styrene to build a similar style structure, like I did for the Dunnville station:
[album]667[/album]

[album]668[/album]

In the picture directly above, the near wing houses express and lcl functions, with related railway business on the upper two floors, while the centre block houses the main station (there's another storey below track level, with street access for all areas of the building) with the corporate headquarters occupying the top three floors. The far wing, visible in the first photo, is a Post Office, with other Government offices on the upper levels. Unfortunately, no place to park a business car, though. :cry:

The entire structure is built from .060" sheet styrene, including the interior bracing and platform. The windows are modified left-overs from a couple of Walthers Waterfront Warehouse kits. While it doesn't show very well in the photos, the walls were scribed, using the back of an X-Acto #11 blade, to represent Ashlar cut stone. Still lots of detailing to do on this - it isn't yet fixed in place, as I need to have it removeable so that I can put a backdrop where the streets dead-end at the wall.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread