Great Northern Atlantic
Hello!
Here i will tell a story about notorious a non-runner turning into somewhat near state-of-the-art running model. This loco i have purchased for a friend of mine who is a great Great Northern fan.
At first some photos of the loco as is when purchased:

[Image: dsc04791j88e3.jpg]

[Image: dsc047886xmbo.jpg]
Note the very spacious emptiness below firebox and cab and above trailing truck. There is simply "nothing".

[Image: dsc04787lg7vr.jpg]

[Image: dsc04793gd7st.jpg]
There is this ominous thick pipe which is bend up in 45°angle on the forward end. This pipe also prevented the trailing truck from movements sideward and caused derailments reliable on every rail configuration which is not straight and even as ist can bee.
Also the forward end tends to touch the wheel rim of the driver on the (Murphy's Law! Icon_twisted ) insulated side.
So i removed it as first work done.

[Image: dsc04786mjur6.jpg]
Note complete lack of injectors and related plumbing.

Later i found with help of good friends, that this ominous pipe should be the modelling of a Kelly feedwater heating device. So the next work was researching what things and devices should be here in this empty places. Meanwhile all the facts were collected, a list was written and parts were ordered. Orders went to Precision Scale in early summer. Until now nothing was delivered.
But there were a lot more things to do without lost wax parts involved.

[Image: dsc04795lnmmv.jpg]
The first attempt.
The original Sagami motor was a good runner, it was kept therefore.
The in early brass models inadventable rubber tube, usually in different cases of detoriation, was thrown into the waste bucket.
Instead i mounted real universal joints.
To prevent the gearbox from rocking movements forth and aft i made a torque lever. And for sprung action of the first set of drivers the lever was divided into two flexible jointed pieces.

Still lot to do.

Lutz

Messages In This Thread