More operations on the Kings Port Division
I continue my efforts to create as many operations possibilities as I can on a layout that really wasn't designed with that in mind. I built a layout to watch trains go around and got the operations "bug" later. I've been working on some ways of having ops fun without having to completely redo my layout. I wrote about operations on my layout in a previous thread but have revamped it since then. I've developed a scheme that allows me to run two through-freights, one local "turn" that serves all of my industries, a passener train, a transfer run to and from my car float, and the car float switching itself. That's a lot of operations for a lone wolf runner. I plan to gradually describe what I'm doing in this thread but everyone can feel free to comment any time if you'd like.

The large Empire Grain structures on the left side of the layout hide part of my continuous main line and a long siding behind them. On an upper level immediately above this hidden track is an apparent double main line that actually leads to a return loop. This is also hidden behind Empire Grain so I can park trains there out of sight when needed.
[Image: 003_zps1a725361.jpg]

One of the small modifications I have made to the track plan to enhance operations was to extend this spur in front of Empire Grain...
[Image: 001-20.jpg]

...past the complex and into this tunnel that goes under a return loop. The hidden track beyond the tunnel can accommodate a ten car train. This is where my local "turn" comes from and eventually returns "off layout".
[Image: 002-20.jpg]

As an example, a GP30 pulls the local out of the tunnel. I know it's odd to have loading bays along this track, but while running the local out of this staging I ignore them and treat the track as a branch to the town of Mayfield. Other times when the local is hidden away and not to be brought out, I'll treat the track as a mere spur and may set out covered hoppers and boxcars there.
[Image: 003-9.jpg]

I can arrange a meet with this train by holdng it on the spur while one of the through-freights staged behind Empire Grain comes around and passes it in the foreground. I can enjoy watching this train traverse the layout and then return to its original staging place.
[Image: 004-11.jpg]

Once its out of the way I can run the local.
[Image: 005-13.jpg]

[Image: 006-7.jpg]

That's enough for now. Next posts I'll follow the "turn" around the layout and demonstrate the limited paper work I use (when I feel like it! Misngth )

Messages In This Thread