Heavy Electric Modular Group
talltim Wrote:I think a Heavy Electric Modular group is a great idea
As a matter of interest, what is the track height above floor you are using? If you have gone for the same as Free-mo or NMRA you could join to those modules at a junction board. It wouldn't matter what the Heavy Electric Module standards are, you would just need a junction or converter module.
For example you could build a module with an 4 track electrified straight through, with two Heavy Electric Modular standard ends, and a junction leading off to a non-electrified single or double track Free-mo Modular standard end. Assuming your standard is using DCC then it is really only height that could be a stumbling block.

Edit: just re-read your OP and noticed had witten the height, 40" or 52". Is that to top of rail? Free-mo is 50" and NMRA seems to be 1250mm (or 49.2"). I suppose if you had enough length in a module you could have a down grade from the junction with the electric mainlines to the third end built to another spec.

I'm not saying you should, or you have to do this, just pointing out that even with your own, seemingly incompatible spec, it would still be possible to build an interface with other specs

Ideally, but perhaps too ambitiously, I'd LOVE to do a few modules depicting Union Interlocking, where the North Jersey Coast Line connects with the Northeast Corridor. Another Prototype possibility is "Lane" interlocking, in which Track 1 "jumps over" a track connecting Waverly Yard with tracks 2 and 3. This was because freight typically traveled on the middle 2 tracks (2&3), while commuter/passenger traffic stayed on Tracks 1 and 4.

In general, those PRR style "flying junctions" would definitely make life easier if they worked, though I'm not sure that is practical in modular form.

The real problem with these are the grades involved, and I'm sure it would take a few extra modules to do it right.

That said, the modules can "squat" a few inches. I'll have to measure it out to be sure, but the "feet" of the module are actually I-bolts, which we can twist one way or the other to raise or lower the modules to account for uneven floors. lowering it 2" might not be an unobtainable goal.

Connecting our Prototypical Electrified lines is something a lot of groups are interested in, so I'm hoping we can "bridge" that gap soon.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread