Heavy Electric Modular Group
talltim Wrote:I think a Heavy Electric Modular group is a great idea
As a matter of interest, what is the track height above floor you are using? If you have gone for the same as Free-mo or NMRA you could join to those modules at a junction board. It wouldn't matter what the Heavy Electric Module standards are, you would just need a junction or converter module.
For example you could build a module with an 4 track electrified straight through, with two Heavy Electric Modular standard ends, and a junction leading off to a non-electrified single or double track Free-mo Modular standard end. Assuming your standard is using DCC then it is really only height that could be a stumbling block.

Edit: just re-read your OP and noticed had witten the height, 40" or 52". Is that to top of rail? Free-mo is 50" and NMRA seems to be 1250mm (or 49.2"). I suppose if you had enough length in a module you could have a down grade from the junction with the electric mainlines to the third end built to another spec.

I'm not saying you should, or you have to do this, just pointing out that even with your own, seemingly incompatible spec, it would still be possible to build an interface with other specs

Tim,
The original legs landed at 40" for NMRA compatibility, and 50" for Free-Mo compatibility. They have since gone through several different iterations, and the v6 legs I use now have a fully-adjustable range of 38" to 62", which makes them fully NMRA and Free-Mo height compliant. And as modules cycle through the shop, I'm recutting the v1/v2 legs into v6's in the process, to keep everything consistent.

Additionally, several of the junction points that are going to come off of the module set I'm building (49th st through Arsenal Interlocking) will offer 2-track modular connections, as someone asked about. One of our other members wants to build 52nd st Junction on the Harrisburg line, which would give an additional 2-track connection point. (She even wants to build some related 2-track modules for the run out to Cynwyd, so we're going to be making up standards for that, too.)

As for junctions with Free-Mo, one is already well underway:
(click on the smaller photo in each link to embiggen)

https://goo.gl/photos/1rQ33WwaZHXYuzQ48

https://goo.gl/photos/5D4VU8Brk52JrfGo6

This is the Greys' Ferry Junction, with the Free-Mo connection coming off the front representing the branch that ran across the river and tied into the Philadelphia Belt Line tracks up by Washington Blvd. These are the first few of a set of 10. 49th street will run across the bridge abutments on the left edge in the far background, and the 'highway' style bridge through the center is Greys' Ferry Ave itself.
The tracks that come off the front left will be additional yard tracks, with a possible second Free-Mo connection on the tail end of the yard module. This alignment was the old mainline through Tinicum and Essington, before the PRR built the new mainline through Darby, Glenolden, and Ridley.

The next two modules in the set will be inside curves to balance the outside curve of the G/F junction, with a connection off the back to the Media/West Chester line.

You can see the full gallery of module photos here:
https://goo.gl/photos/KgpaWggFd7dFhvrw8

--Drew

Messages In This Thread