Heavy Electric Modular Group
mountaingoatgreg Wrote:Whow that is a cool idea, maybe you could introduce a "branchline" standard that would have less tracks to cover more routes and allow for flexability?

Keep us posted!!

I'm sure I sounds silly, but what do you mean by more routes and flexibility? Do you mean connecting with other group's modules, or other electrified routes ( Reading Company, Milwaukee Road, Virginian, Great Northern, etc)?

Personally, I think this is a case where a 4 track PRR/NH (now all Amtrak) modular set up allows the greatest flexibility. Almost all popular and easily accessible Electric models operate on the NEC, or did operate on that line during some point in it's existence.

It make the NEC an ideal location to operate these models. Other railroads, not so much. Amtrak is the only completely represented electric fleet. Everyone else has huge holes in the available roster. Even Resin kits and Brass don't seem to include everything. I'm not even talking obscure electrics. You can't model the PRR with just GG1s. If Concor didn't produce the MP54s, the only choice would be obscure resin kits, or brass. MP54s are fixtures on the PRR, so you can see why it was an issue.

So in the long run, I think we're probably accommadating most people. The majority of available models is compatible with the 4 track plan, and there are plenty of places between New Haven, CT, and Washington DC to model.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread