Heavy Electric Modular Group
I have to upload photos, but track and cork have been laid, and at least one end of the module has been "locked down", so that the tracks can be matched up to adjoining modules.

It is REALLY satisfying to have even a PIECE of a 4 track mainline. For one thing, my Amtrak trains don't look "out of place". I can't find any good scale diagrams of the south end of the North Elizabeth Station, but using photos, a ruler, and some fairly insane math, I think I've managed to get the main features of the station roughly approximate to its real-life size and orientation relative to eachother. There doesn't seem to be a need for much selective compression.

In fact, I may only selectively compress in order to allow MORE stuff to be on the module. The module was built by my friend to help get everyone started, and so it was built to an unusual 5' X 18" shape. If I were modeling a straight section of 4 track Northeast Corridor with nothing special around it, this would be more than enough. However, the 18" width cuts out a handful of "landmarks" for the station, and because there IS a station there, the catenary poles are spaced out partially, giving less space "trackside". I'm considering adding 6" "wings" on each side to increase the width, but only if necessary.

Hopefully if I have time this semester, I can begin construction on the "north" end of the North Elizabeth station, which has a roadway underpass beneath the NEC immeadiately north of the station platforms, negating the use of this module to fit the stat in a more "centered" format with just one module.

If I ever get the time and feel brave, I'll have to model south of Elmora, NJ, and do "Six roads", a portion of the NEC with 6 tracks! This 6 track portion continues to Rahway at Union interlocking, and then the Corridor goes back down to 4 tracks.

Each module fits "two" catenary structures, with half the distance between poles on each end, looking somewhat like this:

--------K----------------K-------- Where "K" is a catenary pole.

The current module will cover where the photographer is standing back to halfway beyond the catenary pole immeadiately on the other side of the bridge (roughly the location of the cylindrical hoppers in this train). The photographer is looking south, away from New York.

[Image: GG1%20PC%204858%20&%204857%20_%201-17-76...,%20NJ.jpg]

The next module will "complete" the station, modeling from the current module to halfway beyond the signal bridge. The photogapher is in roughly the same spot as in the last photo, but this time facing north.

[Image: US%20-%20E60CH%20AMT%20957%20@%20North%2...8-7-76.jpg]

hopefully, This gives you guys an idea for what I'm going for!
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread