Looks like google predicts the end of model trains
teejay Wrote:Don , I think that is only part of it .....I think we have bits and pieces of " reasons " !

I'm on about a half dozen old car forums ...some get very specialized . I'm as amazed at the craftsmanship of many of those guys like I am a lot of model railroaders . We've seen so many guys on this forum " get their hands dirty " , scratchbuilding , making scenery , structures ...you name it . Lots of personal pride that I admire .

On one car forum H.A.M.B. ( stands for Hokey Assed Message Board ! ) there are about 200,000 memebers . No that's not a misprint . Some of these guys drag old rusted junk ( in my eyes ) out of a barn or forest and fabricate up a street rod or cruiser ....some of these guys are in their 60's and 70's !! They show threads of the step by steps in buiding their creations ....their buddies are over helping out ( mostly white hairs ) ....you just don't seem to find a teenager hanging out watching/helping with the work . I'm in awe of these guys . I've worked on a lot of cars but certainly can't fabricate one . I used to watch my Dad tune up his '51 Monarch ( like a Mercury but Canadian ) getting my hands dirty ( getting in the way probably Wink ) ....all hands on stuff . Oh well , it is what it is .

T

So, where are these young 'uns if they're not watching or helping us old geezers work on restoring old cars, running model trains, flying R/C airplanes or running R/C cars? There used to be a guy on the DIY channel, Chris Chianelli, that should get anyone really excited about getting into model anything... flying, racing, railroads...you name it. Oh, wait, these kids are too busy texting, surfing, hanging out at the mall or play video games on their new smart phone. My oldest grandson was so into these things that he didn't even care if he got his drivers license.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread