Organizing research materials
Sumpter250 Wrote:Years back, when I was maintaining Microfiche printers, duplicators, readers, and reader/printers, I started a list of all my rolling stock, and was able to update it, and print it to fiche, as a test program for the printer I had just completed repairs on.
I spent more time updating that list than I did building models.
Every time I flipped the coin, it came up "building models is more fun", I never saw it land "building databases is fun".
I stopped flipping that coin.
I am having more fun, building models - - - - - - - - - and re------searching ! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Wink

the hobby shop one might be impractical, but other personal data bases have some value. The way i figure it, the initial set up is a one-time pain. Once everything is up to date, you're set. I imagine that computer programs designed for this sort of thing, such as RRTrains2000, make the job easier and faster. in the end, i just take my time, and if i get bored, i'll go do something else.

Quote::o :o a n d... by the way....., yes, I reached "old fossil status" a couple of years ago, and I'm sure my comments here reflect that. Icon_twisted Icon_twisted 357 357 357

Nah, you don't sound like a fossil yet. You're still making your own parts!

Quote:ambitious one who would build that database? If that makes you happy, go for it ! I will be happy to use it. Thumbsup Thumbsup
As Ngauger put it: "and then there's the inevitable.....While I'm Re-Searching for "that"... I always stumble upon "this" one item that I was looking for previously and did not find... Therefore, now I know where it is"
and next time, and there will most likely be a next time, I'll remember what I learned, and go right to where I can find it.
[/quote]

Again, i feel this is easier said than done, but thats me. Personally, i am very easily distracted, so if i have to dig through multiple old magazines to find one article, I'll never make it! I'll inevitably end up reading a random article on ATSF U30CGs or Erie Builts or something, and never end up at my goal.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread