East Terminal & Newburgh
Thank you for watching my thread!
I will give answer to the questions and suggestions, thank you for the suggestions.
What i describe here in this thread actually started in the summer of 2008 and is still in progress. This is my first attempt to built a US styled layout and i had very little time to work on it. So progress was and is only slowly and in this tread i try to write down the complete story from the beginning on.
So don't wonder if the progress you can see in the next aerticles will be very quick and after reaching a certain piont, the "now-time", will become dead slow.

@ postman and MrBill: Yes track plan will come lateron in form of somewhat "air photos"

@Reinhard:
European model switches and frogs are designed for wheels running on their flange tips over the bottom of the frogs. NMRA conform wheels will fall down here into the frog "canyon". A ugly proceeding in my eyes.
US model switches are designed in an manner, that the wheels move the entire way over the frog only on their threads, as the protoype. So the flage depth is of secondary meaning.
Also European and US switches have complete different tie layout and design.
This photo may show the differences:
[Image: dsc01475fru6m.jpg]
From upper:
Atlas Code 83 #4
Roco Code 100 11,5°, complete new handmade frog
Atlas Code 83 #6
Roco Code 100 9,5°, original frog
Atlas Code 83 #8
Look to the ties, there is the difference.

Of course i have modified frogs:
[Image: dsc014711eufd.jpg]
Roco Code 100 11,5° with soldered gussets. These gussets enable wheels according to NMRA RP25/110 to move over the frog only on their threads without sinking into.

[Image: dsc05778c6b6l.jpg]
An other device, but the same purpose. Roco Line Code 83 10° with new tip.

So i was not willingly to repeat the old mistake and reuse old worn out and at least unsuitable tracks on a new layout.
And a big reason to buy new tracks was the price. € 11,50 for an Atlas #8 in comparison of somewhat € 30,- for an Roco Line 10°

@jwb
After carefully looking on historic photos of Cleveland/OH, i made the decision not to reuse my German buildings. Too different was the look.
I found it better to start here complete new from the beginning.

@ Mister Ric
The Flats is exactly the area in will attempt to model. It will be not an exact downsizing of a real area, it will be more like catching the atmosphere of an industrial district of an mytical Cleveland in the 1940's. And i tell you, i will not be able to made an 100% exact miniature replica of the real Flats.
Should i model the NKP trestle across the flats? Be grateful with me.

[Image: dsc022577eo41.jpg]
One of the first thougts was: "Get rid of the plywood district!"
So i bought water soluble guache in earth colour and painted the modules with it.
The nearest on the photo is module #2.

[Image: dsc02261z7py3.jpg]
Here i am im still experimenting with loose laid track. How long the spurs have to be to accept how much 40' cars?
As this layout will be a stand alone device it was essential how many cars and a switcher would the stub end would take. No plans were drawn, all planning was done with the loose track methode and i have an immediately glance how it looks alike. Corrections are made rather easy in this stadium.

Lutz

Messages In This Thread