QRL&PCo station from cereal box
Following Tetters' exemple, I built my QRL&PCo Beaupré station from a Cheerios cereal box (and some leftovers from a oatmeal box too).

The most important step was to brace firmly the cardboard to a stiff backing. I used 1/16 artist cardboard I kept from my architecture school days.

Here's a picture of the original building as it stood back in 1954. It was built in 1889, with eleborate gingerbread ornements. Most of them were removed in early 50s. I have no date for the destruction of this very station, but many on the line were torn down by CNR circa 1978. It probably had the same fate.

[Image: QRLampP450BeaupreacuteSept-54_zps989d52b1.jpg]

Clapboard texture was done by scribbing the cardboard with an X-acto blade then spread the lines with a needle. Glossing printed side of the box was also sanded to ensure better bond when gluing.

I exclusively used carpenter yellow glue. It dry fast and doesn't warp material (most of the time). I also used it to give more strenght to corners and other fragile parts.

As you can see, I glued backing almost everywhre. Next time I build a cardboard structure, I'll make a solid core that I will clad with finishes.

A few "trusses" were made to support the roof. As you can see, the roof have the caracteristic French Canadian curved line near the soffit. This is a traditionnal feature of the area, that historically, traces back it's root to orientalism brought back in the area by a British Governor that served in South Eastern Asia in late 1700s. In some unusual way, it evolved and quickly spread in rural areas where it was very popular until 1900. Nowadays, this feature is a staple of traditionnal architecture, old folks called it "maison canadienne". Modern version are always clumsy, lack proportion and elegance. Grand Trunk / Intercolonial built several stations in this style back in 1856 when it was very fashionable. La Pocatière and St-Pascal stations still stand today. La Pocatière Station from Wikipedia:

[Image: Via_Rail_Station-La_Pocatiere_QC-September_24_2007.jpg]

Habitually, the pitch of these roof is much more steeper, but in this case, they put it on a more "English" design, which is quite rare. Because of that, I couldn't curve the heavy cardboard and had to make a strong structure then glue a lighter curved sheet on it. As you will see later, this decision led to a warped roof near the gable. Next time, I'll make the roof in one strong part!!!

[Image: IMG_2550b_zps97df70b2.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2551_zps6159b9a9.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2552_zps119d2a87.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2553_zpse4e96120.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2554_zpsb01a2b77.jpg]

More to come later.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread