Rolling Stock For The Southwest
O.k. let me tell the next chapter of the story.
When i got her, there was absolutely nothing thread and flange wear to see. Ergo this engine was not run and have had until now a calm being as shelf queen.
On the tracks with her and fired her up with analogue DC. Yes she began to run, probably the first time after 30 years.
3 m forward, she runs quiet, no noise, 3 m back and 1m forward again.
1 m ??? Yes, then she stalled Eek
Nothing,even no motor hum.
So it was time to took her apart an have a look under the shiny brass.
A big fat Canon motor and the inadvetable detoriating rubber tube.
So i took two crocodile clips and give the Dc direct to the motor.
Motor tried to run und rubber tube tried smear due a blocked gear box input shaft.
Removing the gear box and took them apart
[Image: dsc05673u8z1g.jpg]
Nope A cracked idler gear.
Searching my collection of gears i found an suitable replacements:
a) a spur gear with the same dimensions but made out of brass
b) a Roco with the same number of teeth and the same module, made out of Delrin, but with a different bore
I decided to take a)
I mounted it and put the gearbox together.
Next test run, the gearbox is still quiet an smooth running, so there is no need to replace it.

The next bug was the left front running board:
[Image: dsc05674asy22.jpg]
The soldering points were partially broken and there was a kind of space conflict beween the pilot deck stancion and the feedwater line from the feedwater heater to the check valve.
Here i show my first attemt with an reinforcement angle made out of a piece of brass sheet to give more strength for the soldering point.
Later i drilled four holes, two into the boiler and two into the running board, put four pieces of 0.5mm hardened brass wire into and solderd the whole together. Then the reinforcement was strong enough to keep the things square.

[Image: dsc05692.1c1poe.jpg]
Here is one of the controlling photos taken before the reinforcement. You seen the left stairs and the running board are not in a right angle.
And i shows more work which has done or have still to be done, encircled by red lines:
- pilot stancion ist bend
- head light has to be cored for LED
- plumbing fron feedwater punp the feedwater heater must be adjusted
- also from heater to check valve
- maker light was bend

[Image: dsc05691.1mbq3o.jpg]
- the same snakes's nest from the side.
- readjusting the feedwater pump
- relining the plumbing feedwater pump - heater, so the valve gear actuating lever is clear from the plumbing
- adjusting the numberboard case
- refitting the long step between cylinder block and side ladder according to prototype photos.
- adjusting the trailing truck
- reinforcing the rear traverser beneath the cab in just the same manner as i have done it with the 2-10-2:
[Image: dsc05496qqp64.jpg]

[Image: dsc05684bty84.jpg]
A control photo from the right side. The long step between cylinder block and ladder yet still not fixed here on the photo

[Image: dsc05690.1oxo70.jpg]
- here the long step is fixed
- adjusting the injector, not much, but now it sits square
- adjusting the power reverse, here i elongated and reinforced, by soldering a strip of brass onto the rear, the connecting rod to the actuating lever
- and the numberboard case on this side

will be continued.

Lutz

Messages In This Thread