Rolling Stock For The Southwest
The next step was to eliminate the "Great Nothing" inside the cab.
One of the requirements was to replace the open frame motor with an smaller modern equivalent:

[Image: dsc060029pswr.jpg]
Here a photo with removed boiler. The installation of a new drivetrain was done before, but not descrbed and pictured, so i do it now afterwards.
A new motor bed was made out of a piece of U-channel, drilled, tapped and bolted direct onto the rear end of the main frame.
A clamp was made from 0,2mm brass sheet and bolted onto the U-channel.
The motor is an Faulhaber 1724 for 12V DC.
The original noisy open frame gearbox was replaced by recyled parts. A cast gearbox case filled with the remains of other gears. By carefully selecting and reworking i was able to create a smooth running quiet drivetrain.
The universal joints were configured out of Voith Maxima drive train parts, thus explaining the obsolte worm in this case.
In this case the torque lever was mounted at the front end of the gear box and direct onto the screw which held the valve gear carrier.
Fine adjustement were made simply by clamping the motor.
Upside a 3-pole socket was made for head light and cab interio light. The white plastic striping i have made only to keep the drive train clear of electric wires when the boiler is mounted.

[Image: dsc05848s9xdw.jpg]
Here i made a movable deck plate to the tender deck. As loco and tender have the same polarity now, no insulation is required between loco an tender.

[Image: dsc05846uab04.jpg]
And here i made a insert consiting out of the boiler backhead, the portion of the boiler inside the cab and the supplemented cabfloor.
The insert was made to pinch into the cab. So it could be easy removed for further detailing and it and glazing the cab winndows lateron.
There were already factory installed cab seats and a partly cab floor.

Then was the time to wait patiently untill the in the US ordered detail parts were shipped across the big pond and passed German customs bureaucracy*.

Lutz

* :?: Bureaucracy or Bureaucrazy Icon_lol

Messages In This Thread