Lest We Forget
We don't have Memorial Day in UK, ansd I don't know how much has been reported in USA about the off-duty soldier who was literally hacked to death by two terrorists, after being deliberately run down by a car in Woolwich, London this week.
The terroeists wanted to become martyrs and hung about until an armed patrol arrived - they were shot (but only in the legs) and are currently under armed guard in hospital - which might be the closest they get to their 72 virgins! He was wearing a "Help for Heros" T-shirt - the only good thing is that that charity (up till last night) has had £600,000 (around $1,000,000) in donations since this dreadful occurence last Wednesday. The attack has been condemed by people of all faiths.

This was sent to me and was written by one of his mates (the reference to "an early stack" for those who don't know means finishing work early - The "angel" was one of three ladies who approached the attackers and attempted to give him help - with no thought for their own safety - primary school kids were just coming out of the school opposite where the incident occured.

Someone sent me this, written by a fellow soldier of his:

Just out for a walk after an early stack
Not looking for trouble, not watching my back
Mothers with prams holding hands with their kids
Not paying attention to the car as it skids
Caught completely off guard not expecting what comes
One man with a knife another with guns
No chance of defence no chance to fight back
Looking for help as the cowards attack
An angel arrives as the light turns to grey
A woman attempts to steer attackers away
My last thought of 'Thank You' never strays from my brain
As my body shuts down and I feel no more pain.

I look to my left and I look to my right
Thousands of squaddies are all that's in sight
Uniforms are crisp and their faces are clean
No sign of anger or hate to be seen
As if by command they salute all as one
The RSM smiles, says 'Welcome home son"

Messages In This Thread