Scenario cards: a second try
In my first experiment with scenario cards I tried to use them to determine operations for the whole layout. The cards selected which trains I'd need to run and which industries they would serve (along with what pick ups and set outs needed to be done). I let the cards take total control for the ops set up. This time I'm taking control over which trains I want to run and am simply using the scenario cards to determine what work those trains will do.

First I sorted the cards for the twelve industries/destinations on my layout. Each pack has several cards with varied instructions for pick ups and set outs. Some cards indicate no work is to be done for that industry.
[Image: 001-27_zps2d6d3ee6.jpg]

I use a route sheet of trains I can run on my layout to tell me which industries each train can efficiently serve (i.e. which industries on this train's route have trailing spurs).
[Image: 002-23_zps8c637aa7.jpg]

I'll pick the first train at the top of the list MK-2 (Mayfield to Kings Port). That done, I pick only the packets of cards for the industries that train serves (the Float Yard, Sal's, Booms Ready Mix, the Team Track, and KP Steel)
[Image: 002-23_zps4ba644e4.jpg]

Then I select one card from each of these packets (this is where the randomness comes in).
[Image: 003-11_zpscc18057a.jpg]

I then go to my rolling staging yard and grab appropriate cars.
[Image: 005-15_zpsfb16e6cb.jpg]

I assemble the train by hand on a staging track according to the order of industries on the route. Then I write their car numbers on the switch list I'll use while running it later.
[Image: 004-13_zpse36c2087.jpg]

That's it! I think I'll design simpler scenario cards. The current ones have info about destinations that don't necessarily work as well in this second way of using them.

Messages In This Thread