A second start for my "White Swan" reefers
Bernhard, there are some roof photos HERE, HERE, HERE, and HERE. Simply click on the images to get an enlargement.

Most of the ones I've built have the outer strips done alike, while the middle strip uses different lengths so that none of the joints of adjacent boards align. That, however, is based more on my sense of what would be likely than anything which I've seen in photos. Wink Misngth

You continue to outdo your previous efforts with every new build, and the bolt detail and fastening of the roofwalk end-braces looks like the strongest way to make that vulnerable connection. And the nails for the roofwalk boards....well, that's really gilding the lily. Eek Thumbsup
While I do understand your passion for building in wood, I wonder about its use on these cars. The nails do address the issue of joining dissimilar materials, but I still would have opted for styrene. It can be made to look like unpainted wood (as were many roofwalks) and even moreso than real wood, as the woodgrain of most model-making wood does not scale-down all that well. Of course, that's the opinion of one who stopped using wood once I discovered styrene. Wink Misngth

These cars, along with all of your other beautifully-done cars which have gone before, certainly cement your reputation as a master carbuilder. Worship Worship Worship

Wayne

Messages In This Thread