Old radios
6655321 Wrote:If you a nei search for "magic eye tube" that should bring up some information. As a old time nut, I can remember seeing a few tube sets with that as a tuning indicator. I used to use broadcast band tube receivers to listen to Jean Shepherd on WOR. Better selectivity and it would light up the room at night.

Just be careful if you use an older type tube set-- some of them had one side of the AC power line connected to the chassis.

If you touched a metal part of the radio and another device that was similarly wired - you could get shocked.

I have a Philco cathedral type AM tube set that is just for decoration. The wet capacitors have dried out and rubber parts have disintegrated.

I spent 17 years as an broadcast engineer at a Philly AM FM station.

I thought I heard that before about the chassis. I used to work for a company that refurbished cable tv equipment both set top boxes and the "line" equipment that went up on the pole. Anyway with the set top boxes we repalced all the electorlitic caps because of the drying up and the replacement caps had a higher tempature rating.

Will post a pic of the radio sometime today, all original parts except for the power cord.

Messages In This Thread