Platinate Overland Trolleys
Second : The rolling stock

The railroads trolley cars where build by Herbrand Co. in Cologne in 1912. Non of the original cars has survived. There are just some similar looking cars from another railroadline, but with different end walls. The next problem is, that there are no RTR models of this prototype avaiable. I had to scratchbuild them. I used rare and pure drawings together with photos to bring these railcars back in 1:87 scale.

[Image: strecke.jpg]

I spend several weeks to design 3D models on my computer. I started with an ordinary coach car and changed it into a motorcar during the next step. There are 2 different kinds of motorcars and 2 kinds of coach cars, while each motorcar has two different versions. At the end, I had a total of 6 different 3D models, based on the prototype cars.

[Image: tw_1.jpg]

[Image: bw_32.jpg]

To make the models become real, I used the great 3d-printservice from Shapeways and I ordered the first models printed in FUD. They are designed to take 12mm wheelsets to represent the narrow gauge in H0m scale. There are RTR drive mechanism aviable from Halling.at and the panthographs are made by Sommerfeld. There's still a lot of work to do, but the printed shells and chassis are a good start for my model trains.

[Image: urmodel_2.jpg]

After fixing some issues on the 3d-models, I ordered the first bunch of 3 cars to model a train from the 1929th. I had some b/w photos showing the trains with black lining and there's a painting by a regional artist that gives hints for the right colors. This maybe the look of the old trolleys in the 1929th.

[Image: 1929.jpg]

With the first train finished, I made some more cars in the look of the 1950th which will be the main ear in my collection. All cars are equipped with DCC. 3 more cars are planed and will be added during the next month.

[Image: 1955_4.jpg]

[Image: 1955_3.jpg]

[Image: bild_5.jpg]

In the next post, I'll show you my modular layout with prototype scenes of the old railroad. The first two modules are finished and will be shown on the 100th anniversary event at the bus depot on saturday.

Cheers, Gerd

Messages In This Thread