Interest In Tour Car or Car Exchange?
It seems to me that the point here is fellowship, not as much pretty pictures or exact prototype emulation, although participants are free to add whatever paperwork they wish to their own shipments. Participants are free to add a "story line" to their shipments or not. The exchange would be open to anyone willing to receive an HO car in the mail, photograph it in whatever way they found appropriate, post the photos here or on another forum (or both or all), and send it along. That would be part of the guidelines, which I'm roughing out in my mind. "Whatever way they found appropriate" might not necessarily mean having it on an HO layout at all -- I've seen photos from an equivalent tour where some guys put it on a tree stump in the back yard, took it to a local rail museum, etc. -- that's all kosher. A bare plywood or foam layout is also fine. Common-sense good taste should apply.

Part of the assumption would be that stuff happens in life, packages get delayed and lost on the mail (tell me about it), guys get sick or have crises of one sort or another, and cars may disappear. One disadvantage of having a single "tour car" is that if the tour car disappears, the tour is delayed. This way, with multiple cars in play at any time, the program continues even if a car goes south. Naturally, anticipating that mishaps, as well as ordinary wear and tear, can take place, participants should use inexpensive (e.g., Bluebox or Accurail or equivalent) equipment that they won't mind losing, seeing couplers or steps damaged, etc, as this happens.

Participants should get the permission of car owners before making any repairs or changes. Any disagreements should be resolved in the direction of (1) recognizing that damage or disappearance are risks all participants assume in joining the program, and (2) the priority in the program is good fellowship and the continuation of the program.

So this is a draft -- please make suggestions. A more final version of these guidelines will be posted when we officially start the program.

Next: how does a participant request a car or make a car available for request?

Messages In This Thread