A bridge to fit my needs
I am trying to 'fit' a bridge into an area where two tracks will cross each other. One track will pass under the other at an angle of about 30 dgrees (give ot take). Now, I have been looking for an appropriate bridge to carry the upper track. I have found many nice bridges in the Walthers book but not one of them is designed as an offset structure. Every single one of them is 'square' at the ends. I would like a single track through truss bridge, about 18 - 20" long, which sits on the abuttments at an angle. Does anyone out there know of a bridge like this? I may have to kit bash one if I can't find something already designed this way. The other option would be to pass under through tunnel. This may not sound prototypical but I know of several spots east of Pittsburgh, PA, where the PRR did exactly that. Instead of a bridge and it's maintance problems they just built a stone arch or concrete tunnel for the track and filled in above it for the main line to cross 10 feet above. This will work, but I like bridges. If any one has any ideas I would love to hear 'em!

Thanks, and sdtay warm!

Kevin

Messages In This Thread