Posing A Question About THe Hobby
Quote:Starting on page 52 of the Feb '09 Model Railroader is a presentation of a layout titled Steaming Through The Winter Wonderland. It is a nice layout, but it wasn't built by the owner; it was commissioned from Raildreams, Inc., a commercial firm.
My feelings are that this isn't a proper display of a layout made by an owner or club, but essentially amounts to advertising for the company that did all the work. From a modeler's viewpoint, I'm uncomfortable with the way this was presented, but maybe I'm too much of a purist.
I'm interested in the opinions of other members.

OK, Cheers I just quoted the original post so we can all get back on page 1. Goldth

I will not state that they did, but, I would not be surprised to find out that MR (Kalmbach) was well paid for publishing that article............at least it wasn't a "senate seat" Eek (that's a "Blagojevich" joke). I have watched Model Railroader make the change from a model railroader's "source of inspiration" to a "cover to cover advertisement", and "good ol' boys" brag sheet. which is why I dropped my subscription, like a hot rock!
MR is also one of the reasons I found and stayed here. There's far more inspiration, and genuine good fellowship here than can be found in the pages of "Kalmbach's Finest". Please don't misunderstand, there's a lot of good material published by Kalmbach........MR just isn't part of it, for me, at least.
I learned a lot from all the years I spent reading MR, but the "master" stopped learning, and the "student" passed by the master, and needs him no longer.
Sad, I looked forward to the learning, and now, have found new "masters" to teach me, some of them, right here.
No, I'm not taking "sides", but I do have to agree with Mountainman's feelings about the article being an advertisement, more than a source of new skills, or information. When I saw the article, I put the issue back on the shelf.
Sorry Kalmbach, one less issue of MR sold.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread