Posing another question about the hobby.
When I was a youngster, and I'm going back 60 years to 1949, I had a friend, (only one?) and his father had a small 4x6 HO layout in his bed room. It was not completed, and he was hand laying the track, but what was done was very nicely done. We moved from that town before I ever saw it run.
What I find interesting today is the fact I can picture the layout, and I could take you to the exact house, but I can't remember the kids name.
He only had a few cars, and they were built from wood. I don't remember anything about the trucks or couplers, but I do remember the things were nice and this was the beginning of my interest in modeling. I never saw any locomotives either. He probably kept them under lock and key.
Now, my question. Does anyone else have similar memories?
I remember buying HO car kits and building them before I started to model HO. These would have been available around 1955. I bought them at the 5 and 10 cent store. (Today's Dollar stores)
I still enjoy building as much as I do operating, and I'm really looking forward to getting started again.
Has the hobby moved from modeling to buying models?
Charlie

Messages In This Thread