Scratch sketch set (Sss) overview and evolution
A Scratch sketch set is a collection of 3d drawings, step by step assembly sketches with directions and materials, some photos, and templates. These sets make it easy to do a scratch project of your choice.

When I first did a set of N scale plans for scratch building a structure, it was a crude collection of 3d sketches done with google's "Sketchup". The "sets" included overview sketches, dimensioned (drawn to nearest 1/64 of an inch) parts layouts, and assembly sketches. These sets resembled what I had seen online, but lacked an easy way to cut out parts.

I had the beginning scratch builder in mind, so an improvement was in order. The main solution was the creation of parts templates drawn precisely to scale. Changing to decimal dimensioning allowed me to get to the nearest ten thousandth of an inch. With totally accurate templates, I then eliminated dimensioned parts layout sketches. That much accuracy is needed when dealing with material thicknesses in the .010 range. The newer templates are not dimensioned, so you won't see it, but the precision is there.

The other thing that was lacking, was an easy way to print the templates. The answer to that was creating PDF's. All of my sketch sets now include PDF's. All you have to do is print them, cut out the parts outline, use rubber cement to glue to your building material, and cut on the lines. The paper peels off easily.

This whole process makes scratch building fun and easy. BTW...my sketch sets are all public domain, so they are free.

I will be posting some of my Sss's here soon.
Gary
Charter member of CAMRRA.

Messages In This Thread