Dan's N Scale layout project
I recently returned to railroad modelling after a 14 year break, and at first decided to build a small switching layout. To shake off the cobwebs and learn what had changed as well as new skills, I decided to join a model railway club. This proved problematic at first with none of the ones I tried at first even working in N scale, and all their interests being British Steam Era. Eventually I was ready to give up, until I thought about trying one last club in the nearest city to where I live - imagine my surprise to find that not only did they have a large N scale layout being worked on, it was American too!

I signed up straight away, and after working on the club layout for a few months I've decided to start up my own home layout again.

After learning a heck of lot from the other members of my local model railway society, I have scrapped the switching layout and begun to build a larger, more organic layout based on the design philosophies of the leader of our N scale section.

I have no plan, no design to work to, other than that it will be continuous with switching potential, and at least double track with a shortline thrown in for good measure. I have a tapering space, 10 feet long, 6 feet free at one end and about 3-5 feet free at the other. Starting on one side with a freight yard, which will be my visible staging, adjacent to which will be a double track main line, as well as an elevated shortline, which will include a section of street running and an intermodel yard in the top left corner of the upper level, as well as potential other industries for switching interest.

Where it goes from there... time will tell. Smile

I am building more framework between times when I am working on the club layout. We shall see how it progresses.

Here are photos of the progress so far, apologies though - it is pretty messy!

[Image: 20140107_220321-1_zps1794f1bb.jpg]
[Image: 20140107_220336-1_zpsb38b5f28.jpg]
[Image: 20140107_220345-1_zpse39fddae.jpg]
[Image: 20140107_220353-1_zps81dc70e3.jpg]

Messages In This Thread