Passing of Alvin F Stauffer
jwb Wrote:By the way, here's an example of someone who got angry at a Lance Mindheim swipe <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83647-lances-latest-blog-entry-mar18-food-for-thought/">http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... r-thought/</a><!-- m --> The guy starts a thread on how wonderful Lance is, and he clearly loses his temper when yours truly doesn't agree.

I stay away from that forum now, not sure if they've banned me yet. I will say, though, that Lance seems more popular in Europe and the UK than in the US. So's Jerry Lewis.

To be fair, your opening line to your first post is probably what set them off. It was a little unnecessary, and I know from my experience on other forums (not just train related ones) that they might make a case for that line being "flaming".

The rest of your post was legitimate.

Its somewhat reasonable that Lance is popular in the UK as well, since over there, extremely small mobile layouts are very popular, apparently due to the typical English household side (correct me if I'm wrong). Lance's layout design strategies fit well into this "mini-layout" method popular there.

Brakie Wrote:
Ralph Wrote:GEC, I think your analogy to a movie review is pretty apt and legitimate. A movie review expresses the reviewers opinion and often includes recommendations for other potential viewers regarding its value...I guess things might become problematic if the reviewer were to suggest that I was a fool for still wanting to see the film despite his bad review. "Raising Arizona" is the funniest film I've ever seen despite the fact that my friends think all of my taste is in my mouth. Misngth

I agree..There are movies I enjoyed while the reviewers was less impress and gave them a "thumbs down".

The same can be said about Western novel writers..Want a good row? Speak ill of Zane Grey among western novel fans..I lump him in with Louis L'Amour...Both are excellent writers but, write slow action books-not my type of author since I like action..

I'm glad you guys feel that way, I thought I was taking a bit of a risk posting that "review".
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread