Florida ISL - Ocala
Honestly, there's absolutely no need for a runaround, except if you want a gimmick that soon grow old. On that point, I totally agree with Shortliner. There's enough sidings to keep a man well occupied for a while and a lot of diversity in the industries served. Also, it's always a nice sight to see a train running in the "wrong" side. It's part of the favour of such industrial spur. Why try to kill what's make it special? It would be like saying that every woman SHOULD wear high heels because it do works for some of them. Big Grin Anyway, each of us has is own perception of that matter. But keeping things simple and efficient doesn't mean less operation fun. I hardly see what the runaround would add. Also, SELECTive compression is also about dropping some things from the propotype. Mashing up 3 miles into 25 linear feet needs to make some choice, not always fun, but you got to SELECT things among many. IF not, we would just say COMPRESSION...

However, I also have some serious doubts about the yard lead. At 27 inches, that means you'll be able to move 2 x 50ft boxcars + loco. That's quite an issue... One way to get more place would be to place the interchange track turnout just behind the previous turnout (would looks like a trident). Sure, you loose a little bit place there... Or, keep the turnouts in the same arrangement, but move them up a few inches to get a 30' yard lead able to hold 3 cars + loco. That would be a safer bet since your smallest yard siding hold about 3 cars. If you can manage to have a yard lead as long as your longest yard siding, then, you''ll be in business. Maybe skewing the yard a little bit could give you enough space to manage something workable. It's one of those case not being parallel to the wall could bring more versatility.

As for the location and number of industries, I think mocking up the track arrangement on the benchwork will greatly help to see if things work well together. At this point, you could draw a zillions slight variation track plans. All in all, I think you have enough to keep you busy and trying the idea in real would be the most effective way to test out you ideas. Since you aren't doing a mountainous layout with complexe topography, you are absolutely free to mess up things with a few tracks and rolling stocks.

I wish you a good luck. Sometimes, I feel having a small space is a blessing because it makes you strive for the essentials instead of wasting your energy on bogus and pipe dreams! Icon_lol

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread