I found a wayback machine
Someone left an old copy of Model Railroader magazine in my doctor's waiting room. I knew it wasn't put there by the doctor since it was only a May, 1982 edition, and most doctors don't have magazines that are that new. Nope That, plus all they seem to have are things like, Car and Driver, People, US World Report, Good Housekeeping and a bunch of health-related magazines that you wouldn't pick up until you've been waiting over a half-hour there and have gone through everything else that is there to read. Icon_lol Well, since no one showed back up to claim it, I’m looking it over at my leisure, and the next time I go, I just might leave behind an issue from this century in it's place. Misngth

Remember, I was too busy supporting my family and starting a new business in 1982 and had no interest in model railroading back then. Out of curiosity, I compiled this table to get an idea of how times have changed over the past 32 years. I also added the same data for a July, 2002 issue that I have. The magazine formats are basically similar with many of the same features. What has changed is the number of advertisers, (many that have gone by the wayside over the years), the cost and the size. There was no DCC in 1982, although one company was selling a sound control that made a sound when you pushed one of the 20 or so buttons. DCC did appear in the 2002 issue.

Anyway, look it over and I’d be interested in hearing what anyone can add.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread