Kato 2-8-2 Mikado or a Bachmann Spectrum 4-8-2?
Early 1950s would be ok (just) for steam. In this case, it wouldn't really matter - the railway would be running out the life of any engines. In the 1950s in Southern Ontario, freights were being handled by 4-8-2s, which were modern passenger engines when built in the 1920s. Sad

As for which manufacturer, I have several Bachmann Spectrum steamers (0-6-0, 2-8-0, and 2x 4-6-0) and they are nicely detailed and run well. Kato has a good reputation, but I have no first hand experience. My experience is in HO.

As for names, you could pick a real railway, and put it in your fictional location, or make up a name by choosing places on a map, or even inventing them. In terms of names, there are lots and lots of British names in New England, some with the prefix "new" in front.

My Ottawa, Algonquin and Georgian Bay (see avatar) is based on the real Ottawa, Arnprior and Parry Sound, and while I have used some real locations, like Algonquin Park, I have invented others (Marlpost) and given it a completely fictional history that diverges from the real story in about 1933. See <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2053">viewtopic.php?f=48&t=2053</a><!-- l -->

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Messages In This Thread