Boosted Output
bob_suruncle Wrote:okay so I guess my only question is:  should I assume that  you replaced the front portion of existing weight in the boiler with your own weight as yours was heavier that the factory one?  I hate to assume as you know what often happens when you do.

A safe assumption, uncle Bob, and correct for the assumed reason, although that's just my polite way of saying that I was really just too lazy to re-cast the entire weight in lead.  Wink  Misngth
The density of lead is greater than that of the cast Zamac weight that's included with the loco, and while not substantially greater, I also increased the size of the main weight by eliminating the circuitry for the headlight.

Anyone wanting to improve any loco's pulling capacity, steam or diesel, could use some or all of these techniques.
I modified three Athearn U-boats by ballasting them to just over 33 oz. each, using custom-cast lead weights to almost totally fill the body cavities.  All of the locos on my layout have been modified in this manner, to some degree, as I expect them to be able, either alone or in combination with other locos, to move specified amounts of "tonnage".  

Wayne

Messages In This Thread