Having Fun with Covered Hoppers???????
Part 3 1/2 (or where the Bear gets an attack of the Clevers!!!)

Now this is where the “slippery slope” gets more slippery and steeper. Having completed the latching mechanism I once again started to become unhappy with how things looked, it was obvious that the latches, of which I was quite proud of, didn’t actually latch!! But what about the “Three Foot Rule” and “Good Enough” I argued with myself. ( I gather talking to yourself is reasonably acceptable in Psychiatric circles these days, arguing with yourself not so, but suspect that arguing with yourself and Loosing would be a definite No-No) and not only did I lose but then I got an attack of the clevers.  Wallbang
Note: Some years ago in a company where I worked, to be accused that you had “an attack of the clevers” actually had the completely opposite meaning, to be called “a clever chap” was one of the greatest insults there was. (Just so you don’t get the wrong idea, the Chief Engineer, Foreman , Leading Hands, and the rest of the crew were the best people I’ve ever had the privilege to work with).
So being very “clever” I made forty of these.....

....... and with even more muttering, louder, and more frequent outbursts (did I mention Her-in-doors is very forgiving??) I managed to CA them all in place without spilling the CA or even gluing my fingers together!!! Though I will admit to trying to glue the tweezers jaws together, and that three went piiinnnnggggg off into a conveniently lurking black hole.
So finally deciding to quit while I was ahead I quickly gave both cars a coat of paint with my rattle can of grey,and  took a photo which I then posted on another forum I’m a member of.

Why, oh why should life be so simple?? Guess what? Yes that “slippery slope” struck again!!! While complementing me, a gentleman whose work I respect, suggested that as I had gone to all the trouble on the latching mechanism, I should “replace those god awful sill steps” and suggested the detail parts I could replace them with. However I once again decided, as it would be quicker and cheaper, that I could make them from 26/6 staples, after all I’d done it before. Yeah, that pride thing again, because checking up on the prototype photo again I found that the sill steps had two rungs. Not to be beaten at this stage I plugged in my soldering iron and came up with eight of these.

Yes I know that I need to practice my soldering, and that I really should have made a holding jig for soldering.
The end result, (well decals and weathering to come).

So what was the point of it all? Well believe it or not I actually ended up with the satisfaction of something I have done, and four reasonably unique cars.
I would strongly recommend to anyone considering giving kit bashing a go, dive in, you may tread water from time to time, but the water is warm and it is FUN.
Thanks for looking, Cheers, the Bear. Big Grin
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."

Messages In This Thread