Santa Fe 1480 Class Atlantic
Now its time to start work onto the unit:

[Image: dsc074998vb8c.jpg]
The usual "suspects". A open frame motor, a rubber tube, in this case badly hardened and fixed with some glue too to prevent slipping.
Note very sharp flanges on trailing truck wheels. These were not according NMRA Standards and at least i have had to replace them.
Note soldered fly cranks.

[Image: dsc07500gkbmt.jpg]
The rubber tube was so hard and brittle, that it simply broke when i removed the motor.
Note there are traces of corrosion onto the driver axle and onto the worm. The word was heavily oiled before with WD40 to remove as much rust as possible.
May be this loco was stored in a damp environment before.

[Image: dsc07501gnzuq.jpg]
All components seemed to me to be in a rather good shape to justify to be used furthermore.

[Image: dsc07502pfzgn.jpg]
The demounted gearbox. The Japanese craftmens had the courage to drill a 2.0mm bore into a 2.4mm shaft Thumbsup
But the worm shaft was a little bit bent and not straight.

[Image: dsc07503pxydt.jpg]
So i decided to replace it with a new made shaft out of 2.4mm rounds availabe from NWSL.
Universal joints an washers were also from NWSL. For not becoming a kind of washer grave, i used here an old bearing as spacer.

[Image: dsc07505j5kdw.jpg]
A torque lever was made out of a piece of 0.2mm brass sheet and soldered onto the front end of the gearbox. The other end of the torque lever was simply screwed onto the frame trverser.
[Image: dsc07504sdkxg.jpg]
The first version of remotoring. In this case i wanted to try out one of the simply Mabuchi can motors.
A tension belt made out of 0.2mm brass hold the motor adjustabe in fixture. The newe configurated drive shaft is pretty straight forward.

Lutz

Messages In This Thread