Santa Fe 1480 Class Atlantic
Hello Andy!

Thank you for your remarks to the ATSF Class 1480 Atlantics. I was lucky to purchase just this book secondhand on the Fremo meeting in Unna earlier this year.
It is the second printing from 1976.
Looking to the page 248 the history of Santa Fe's Class 1480 engines was the following:
23 were built by Baldwin in 1910 as 4-cylinder balanced compounds.
8 were scrapped in the late 1920's in thier original form.
15 were extensive rebuilt into simple 2-cylinder engines, shortened about 6 feet und this rebuilt form is wat the Balboa model represents.
8 of the rebuilt ones were scrapped before outbreak of WW2.
7 survived the wartime aera.

The surviving ones (that are the scrapping dates and i think at this date they were removed from the roster):
#1491 lasted until 1948
#1498 lasted until 1950
#1483 lasted until 1950
#1492 lasted until 1951
#1496 lasted until 1952
#1487 lasted until 1953
#1488 lasted until 1953

And yes, i will use my "modeler's license" that they will last a bit longer well to the very end of steam on Santa Fe's rails. And perhaps, maybee there will be a lot of fantrips of Santa Fe enthusiasts Wink

[Image: dsc07548wiuzg.jpg]
Dieses Fotos wurde auf sittlichkeits- und moralgefährdende Inhalte überprüft und diese ggf. entfernt.
Here the loco was test running on the layout of the Fremo meeting in Mutschelbach. The five heavyweight cars (Walther's and Spectrum) were no problems for the tractive force of the relative small loco, there is even a spare capacity for two more cars. So no need for adding more weight into the loco.

[Image: dsc07549avoqx.jpg]
Dieses Fotos wurde auf sittlichkeits- und moralgefährdende Inhalte überprüft und diese ggf. entfernt.

[Image: dsc07550tfpbb.jpg]

[Image: dsc07552.12kcql.png]

Lutz

Messages In This Thread