SP #3000 - start for a Daylight train
Since a very long time this very nice small Japanese steam engine model is in my stock and never it was in use.
This should be changed because our small club will be a participant of an large model rr exhibition in next year. And there I would like to run a short Sacramento Daylight train with this loco.
This model is a very good runner however a few small repairs and additions and digitalizing is base for use on exhibition.

[Image: sp-a6_01k.jpg]

[Image: sp-a6_04k.jpg]

The first what I had to do, was to substitute the old, hardened and broken rubber tube as a connection of engine and worm-gear.

[Image: sp-a6_06k.jpg]

I replaced this by a Nylon universal joint that I had divided, shortened and new connected by a screw shaft and I'm absolutely secure that this solution will outlive the model. Now the axle including the gear is free moveable down and up, better then ever before. I think that rubber tube connections as drive shafts were never the best solution!

[Image: sp-a6_08k.jpg]

Next step was to prepare the loco for better current pickup because I planned to use maybe all wheels for electric pickup. First I added a small part of lead into the frame of trailing truck and I screwed on a fine flat spring contact for better current pickup of noninsulated wheel side. Because the truck is fixed with a screw including a coil spring so the power will transferred to frame.

[Image: sp-a6_09k.jpg]

On underside of the truck I mounted a second, insulated pickup contact that I made from a Kadee center spring and that take the current from inside of insulated wheel rim. I can say to you that you will not see one part of this additionally pickup contacts if you are looking from side on model.

[Image: sp-a6_10k.jpg]

Here this is the loco view on the underside and there are two additional contacts on flanges of drivers which are also insulated mounted onto frame and there is also more contact prepared for the wire to decoder of the side of insulated wheels.

So I have received three additional wheels from the loco additionally to the four tender wheels which take current about insulated wheels. There are also three wheels or more or less also five wheels if you include the front truck on frame side pickup. I have had not really good successes with other models where I used first the tender only for pickup and then I modified and included loco wheels also for better pickup.
Cheers, Bernd

Please visit also my website www.us-modelsof1900.de.
You can read some more about my model projects and interests in my chronicle of facebook.

Messages In This Thread