Micro Layout
Hey guys!

It's been along time since I have been on here, I have been pretty busy with school and other things, but I decided that I should finally take all of my model railroad stuff out of their boxes and build something!

Since I will be moving out soon, I will need the layout to be fairly portable and I want it to be able to be placed under my bed when it is not in use, since I don't have a lot of spare time, I want a layout that can be assembled fairly quickly, a 1x4 micro layout seemed like the perfect solution.

I was originally going to build an inglenook, but a 1x4 version would only allow for 40' rollingstock and I have quite a few 50' that I want to use, so I decided to build a fork layout.
I saw a great example of a possible fork layout in a discussion on the Model Trains International Forums from awhile back: http://forum.mtimag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1200

Using the video posted there as a guide, I came up with the following track-plan:

[Image: gLu0F87.png]

The track-plan contains only one small industry, I labeled it as a lumber company, but it could be replaced with almost any other industry rather easily. The train will start on the left side of the layout carrying 1 freight car inbound for the industry, the train will head into the industry to pick up the outbound car, drop it off at the left end of the layout, and then drop off the inbound car at the industry, it will then return to pick up the outbound car where it will then continue on down the line.

This doesn't sound like it would keep me busy for very long, but I plan on doing things such as stopping at the road to wait for traffic, and waiting when coupling and uncoupling. That should lengthen the operating sessions so they won't be too short.

What do you guys think of my idea?
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)

Messages In This Thread