Convert an AC model To DC?
Sure enough, I have recently acquired a model of X995 for my roster. It is a Marklin model from almost 20 years ago.

I will have to post pictures of this thing when i get a chance, but its going to be tricky. half the body is part of the metal frame, so I can't do a body swap with the Atlas AEM7. Even if I could, the body shell is too short for an AEM7 frame, though the wheel base is the same.

Internally, the drive mechanism has more in common with the old "pancake" truck-motors than the typical Athearn style drive. The motor truck has traction tires on all wheels, while the dummy truck carries the third rail pick up show for the Marklin track. It is actually quite spacious in the model, with the only other thing in the body shell being the "Delta" digital control electronics.

As I understand it, I cannot convert the AC motor to DC (or can I?), so I will need to totally remove the drive as it is and replace it with something new. I have no Idea how I would this, but there is a lot of empty space in the hood outside of the body shell mount screw.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread