Convert an AC model To DC?
Well, here are some pictures of the model and what we are dealing with. It seems that a swap between the AEM7 and the RC4 is not going to work.

Here they are posed together-

[Image: PC111791.jpg]

One of the first problems is that the wheel base didn't match as closely as I first thought.

[Image: PC111812.jpg]

Another problem is that the shells split differently. The entire body shell is one piece on the Atlas unit, while the "lower" part of the Marklin model is part of the metal frame. Further complicating things, part of the truck sideframes are cast into the frame of the model, and are not separate like on the AEM7 model.

[Image: PC111801.jpg]

The frame doesn't really support a typical drive, so even if did have a spare AEM7 drive and trucks, it looks like I'd only be able to get one end running.

In reality, i do have a really old SEPTA AEM7 that hit the floor that had one truck with a broken king pin. I might be able to use these parts on this model, but I'll have to gut it.

[Image: PC111797.jpg]

I haven't yet disassembled the trucks, but I assume none of the wheels are insulated, and that I can't rewire the motor in this model to work under DC power, making this drive useless.

[Image: PC111793.jpg]
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread