Other hobby teminology-a riddle of sorts
I can't hold you in suspense any longer, and I don't want to be responsible for anyone losing any sleep wondering.

I was in need of a small piece of colored cloth for a project and went to Walmart where there was a whole rack full of "fat quarter" fabric in all different designs and colors for $0.97 each. Like I said, I never heard the term and hadn't a clue as to why a small piece of cloth was called a fat quarter. I bought one I could use, but had to Google the term when I got home otherwise it would have driven me crazy wondering. 35 35

The answer is as much mathematical as anything: One yard of cloth fabric is a 36" piece cut from a bolt that is typically 44" wide (1584 sq in). A "quarter" is just 1/4 of that, or 9" x 44" (396 sq in). A "fat quarter" has the same area, but is twice as high and half as long, 18" x 22" (also 396 sq in). Thumbsup Don't ask me why, I'm just letting you know what it is, not why. :o

I know this isn't the most exciting thing you'll encounter here this weekend, but then again, there's not that much activity going on here in modeling this week anyway so it makes a good time filler. Popcornbeer

FYI, I am not making a patchwork quilt and don't intend to. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD

Messages In This Thread