gluing down ballast
I put down the ballast, mist it with Windex (do not aim at the ballast, spray over it and let the mist settle, and make it wet) I then liberally apply a mixture of 50 percent Elmer's white glue and 50 percent windshield washer fluid. I mix it in an 8 oz craft paint bottle with the squirt cap and then I let it flow onto the ties and surrounding area (using the paint bottle). I even put down some grass and brush if it flows out too far, don't want to waste it. It looks white and soggy but don't touch it. It might take a couple days to dry, but it is done but for wiping the railhead and then I paint the sides of the rails. If I ever need to pull the track I wet it with Windex and it comes right up. I hold the track in place with small pins or brads until the glue has set, then I remove them. Once everything is dry the little bit that gets on the ties is easily knocked off with a small screw driver. then I vacuum the track. I do not use much glue around switch points. that is where you go slow and low. I do have a large layout and I had over a 1000 feet of track to ballast.

Charlie

Messages In This Thread