Kitbashing a doodlebug
Just a quick update on the doodlebug project.
[Image: 007_zpsvybyz4a4.jpg]
I framed the extra two passenger and the rpo windows with HO scale 3X2 and 1X2 to match the originals.
I was going to work on the front of the car but a lot of the front depends on the roof detailing so I started on the roof.

[Image: 001_zps7okp8drh.jpg]

Rivarossi passenger cars come with the window glass molded in with the roof. with all the splices and new details (as well paint stains) the glass had to go.
[Image: 001_zps7okp8drh.jpg]
a few minutes with my dremel tool and a saw blade:
[Image: 002_zpshyzwjjr2.jpg]
I kept the lavatory windows in as well as a slight lip around the bottom for mounting purposes.
[Image: 004_zpsbukjuvaq.jpg]

Now here is where my model will start to differ from Wayne's. I'm looking at modeling a doodle bug that looks a bit more like a Canadian Pacific prototype. It will have a smaller radiator and oil cooler unit on the roof similar to the one pictured on to cover of the February 1979 Modelrailroader:
[Image: 003_zpsltn7iz04.jpg]
I'm currently tracking down a few parts I need for the roof details.
Interesting enough the kitbashed doodlebug in the MR article has a similar drive to Wayne's and the one that I plan on building. It uses an Athearn SW7 chassis and trucks where ours uses a athearn F-7 running gear. Speaking of which since I'm stuck on the fron and roof I guess I'll start working on the bottom.
[Image: 005_zpsmkhk7mce.jpg]
I got and athearn F-7 (super power!) from a fellow modeler. All I need is the front truck and the back end of the frame:
[Image: 006_zpsxjzrs9ec.jpg]
I'll be cutting it here so I can mount this end to the chassis of the 'bug'.

Messages In This Thread