Kitbashing a doodlebug
Okay, a couple steps forward one large one back. First I'll start with the progress.
I got the F-7 frame cut down and did a rough mounting on the doodlebug chassis.
[Image: 016_zpsmetni8lx.jpg]
Doctor Wayne has been a big help with this project, answering my PM's that are filled with questions of 'how did you.....?'
As per the Doctor's instructions I cut the floor of the 'bug' so that it can be lowered over the F-7 frame to achieve proper ride height.
[Image: 018_zpsmvvhjmty.jpg]
I left the 'tongue' of plastic on the back of the floor so it will fit inside the hollow F-7 fuel tank for mounting later.
[Image: 017_zpsw8xmeuw7.jpg]
I then filled the inside of the fuel tank with styrene layers to bring it up to the proper ride height.
[Image: 012_zpsffui6bh9.jpg]
I did a quick mock-up with some double sided tape and it was pretty much equal front and rear.
[Image: 011_zpsnaeaupvy.jpg]
The front is riding on the coupler mount but I will be adding some real mounting points there.
Now for the 'ugly'
[Image: 015_zpsrtnjhzt3.jpg]
I didn't realize it at the time but when I was using my dremel tool with a saw blade I sort of 'melted' the one side including the door I scratchbuilt. I'll have to repair the side as best I can (thank goodness this isn't a contest model!) and replace the door. I've got plenty of styrene strip and body filler I can replace and repair the sill and door. I'll just have to live with the slightly mis-shapened panels.

Messages In This Thread