Digitalizing a small loco
modelsof1900 Wrote:....First the motor, you see on first picture the motor epoxy fixing on underside. And with this fix positioned gear "main" shaft also all axles must be fixed, absolutely. So the previous owner fixed the bearings in frame by epoxy - 1 mm lower then the original position and together with all bearing springs in their original position in frame!
What I should write is that the previous owner worked very exactly in all respects. All tooth wheels and the worm have a very fine clearance. I think also that he positioned the frame whit all axles on an absolute flat working plate while hardening of epoxy because all wheels and really all are set absolute correct on level track without differences in high. Here I should give him a great compliment for a very solid work - with relativey unorthodox methods. But it works!

I agree: unorthodox methods, but good quality work - I think that you are not the first craftsman to work on this locomotive.

modelsof1900 Wrote:On this picture you see the high differences of lower edge of frame and those of bearings and this has not a reason by free moving bearings and the inside mounted springs. No, the bearings ase fixed all in this position and thereby the loco stands one millimeter higher now (or 0.04") as the model in its original condtion. This is not a problem, also with this change is this loco still a very small model. And it runs very, very well!

It is rather unusual that the bearing springs were left in place, but it was probably the easiest way to level the drivers. I'd guess that he must have used the bottom cover plate partially tightened down to equalise the spring pressure while the epoxy set. This would fix all the wheels at the same height. It seems like very precisely-done work.
As for the excess epoxy, I know that it was holding the bearings in fixed position and not holding the frame together, but it did look like some of the slots in which the bearings sit might be a little wider than needed. I was guessing that if that were the case, he would have also used the epoxy to help keep the bearings tight (front-to-back) in the slots, and that would mean that he also would have somehow held the axles parallel to one another while the epoxy set. Good quality work by him and enhanced by your improvements.
I do recall a somewhat similar plunger-type wiper on a locomotive I once had - perhaps a Rivarossi Hudson? I certainly didn't build it though, but your method is much neater than the wire wipers which I've been installing recently on a friend's locos.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread