Two dome tank car kitbash.
Quite a while back while perusing some old modelling magazines I came across an article by Brad Smith in the September 1977 Model Railroader on kitbashing USRA tank cars from Athearn BB single and triple dome cars.
What caught my eye was his two dome kitbash and at a later date I found an undecorated triple dome kit as a donor kit. However on researching double dome tanks cars, what usually comes up are photos of the Lionel tank Double dome tank car, I gather that two dome cars were built around 1930 but as I was unable to find an actual prototype photo, I put the project on indefinite hold.
The other day I came across the BB kit and the article, and as I was wanting a break from the ferry project, (while drawing, scaling and then making parts is generally fun, it was starting to become a drag, Crazy and I wanted a quick project where someone else had done all the figuring out), I thought lack of prototype photo was not going to put me off as I thought that it would make an ideal tank car for Gern Industries.
So if DoctorWayne happens upon this, could I please have a reporting number for a two dome tank car? Also “If it’s GERN its Good!”, I don’t imagine liquid flux would need a hazmat sign, or does it?

Thanks for looking, Cheers, the Bear. Smile
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."

Messages In This Thread