A Detroit River Car Ferry Question.
In the greater scheme of things it doesn’t really matter if I don’t get an answer but while building my freelanced Detroit River Car Ferry, based on the Wabashs' Manitowoc and Windsor, I’ve got curious about how the ferries ran between Detroit and Windsor.
Now I imagine the crossing from the Wabash apron just upstream from the Ambassador Bridge on the Detroit side, was a straightforward reverse to clear the apron then forward the 1.6 miles to nose into the shared CNR apron adjacent Goyeau Street on the Windsor side.
With the ferries having twin screws and a rudder fore and aft, on the return journey did the ferry reverse from the CNR apron and then continue running in reverse until just downstream from the Wabash apron , then go forward to nose in to unload, or did the ferry actually turn to run bow first and then turn again?
As an aside, I note that port to port passing was the normal practice with oncoming vessels.
Cheers, the curious Bear. :geek:
"One difference between pessimists and optimists is that while pessimists are more often right, optimists have far more fun."

Messages In This Thread