What paperwork are you using for youre layout?
Evening! I have a switching layout, and I use the car card system for routing. I use the switch list when setting and pulling cars, then place the car cards along the fascia where the car is spotted and turn the cards to show their next destination. Right now cars are routed onto the layout and then off via one of four points: Conner Creek Yard, Wyandotte Interchange, West Interchange, or the Grand Trunk.

When a cut of cars arrives to be switched, I write out the switch list using the information from the car cards and note if there are cars in the cut that are going to an interchange point instead of an industry. If there is, I check the cars currently spotted for those that will be routed to that same interchange point, write them as a pickup on the switch list, and then only pull the cars currently spotted that are going to that interchange point while switching the incoming cars. (The rest of the cars currently spotted stay where they are). The cut of cars pulled then gets sent to that particular interchange point to be put onto a cassette for storage. This creates a randomness as to which cars get pulled and which ones stay at an industry. Until more of the track work in Conner Creek and Wyandotte has been completed, this is how I work my layout.
Here are pics of my paperwork:
[Image: 20160307_190850.jpg]

[Image: 20160307_190900.jpg]

Chuck
Detroit Connecting
We are your
inner-city connection.

Messages In This Thread