Thoughts re Hyper Loops?
dave1905 Wrote:Its actually not that close of spacing. If the you are operating at 1.3 minute headways then if one car stops ALL the cars have to stop at exactly the same time, which means that all the cars have to start stopping as soon as the first car starts stopping. Look at it this way if the car travels 1 mile in the time it takes to stop, the cars behind it will have traveled 2 miles (assuming they don't stop at the same time). That means that you effectively need to space the cars 3 stopping distances apart.

The next problem is how long does it take to unload/reload the cars? Since this is long distance travel, you have to assume the people have baggage. So lets say you can unload people and baggage in two minutes then reload people in baggage in 2 minutes. So that's 4 minute in addition to the spacing. Now we are up to 7-8 minute headways.

So much for my arguements. I guess it can still maybe out run a small plane?

In the end, I guess it doesn't matter. They'll build this thing whether it makes sense to or not. Everyone will pat themselves on the back for making US passenger travel top dog again (even if it is just on paper).

I can't shake the feeling that a lot of this high-speed rail (or hyper loop) stuff is more about international jealousy than necessity.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread