Geared Locomotives
I live in a microcosm of Colorado railroading history, Everywhere I go, I encounter the old grades and structures of the once proud working railroads that served and developed this part of the country.

Right here in Rockvale, we had 28 coal mines within just a few square miles, served by the Sante Fe and the CCI. In the alte 1800's the first oil trains were pulling out of Flornce of a regular basis. Midway between Canon City and Florence in the Phantom Canyon grade of the Florence and Cripple Creek RR, 22 miles with a ruling grade of 4% and a maximum grade of 6% at the Wilbur Loop. Florence and Canon City were served by both the Denver and Rio Grande and the Sante Fe railroads, each striving to take over the commerce and the lucrative route through the Royal Gorge to the mines beyond.

So here is the question that nags at me every time I drive around my area of Colorado.

The F&CC RR had to double head every consist of five cars(maximum) just to reach Cripple Creek, so why didn't the narrow gauge railroads, with their steep grades, turn to the geared locomotives that were available - the Heislers, Shays and Climaxes - that served the timber industries and others so well.

It wasn't speed, because the light rail and tight curves of the NG railroads limited speeds to around 20 - 25 mph, so...? :?:

Messages In This Thread